Thinking About Divorce?
Our legal team at Haugen Law Group, PLLC, has seen numerous divorces throughout our years in practice. We understand how difficult it can be to take the first step. In order to help you, we have provided some information below as some things to consider when you begin thinking about divorce:
- Your own goals: What are you hoping to achieve by getting divorced? What do you want to retain for property and assets? You need to begin thinking about what you need to support yourself and your life and be able to articulate your wishes for the outcome. This will help your attorney better understand where you are coming from and put together a strategy.
- Property, assets and debts are divided: It is important to know that property and assets are divided, but so are debts. Any debts you incurred as a couple typically become marital debt and will be paid off by either of you or both of you, depending on the specifics of your situation. Thinking about what you will “get” in a divorce may be offset by the debts that need to be paid.
- Children need to be considered: Child custody and child support are two of the most argued issues in a divorce where the couple has children. It is crucial that you keep children at the forefront of the case. Their well-being needs to be of the utmost importance at all times, and you need to be prepared to discuss potentially difficult concerns for your family and what decisions are in the children’s best interests.
- Know that life will change: Divorce can impact all aspects of your life — home, work, family, friends and more. However, it is important to know that things will be okay. You will be able to continue moving forward with your life after divorce.
- Get legal representation: Even if you and your spouse seem to agree on everything, things change throughout the course of a divorce. It is best to seek counsel from a lawyer as part of the beginning process of considering filing for divorce.
For additional insight or information, get in touch with our Chaska, Minnesota-based firm and schedule a free 30-minute, no-obligation consultation. Call our office locally at 952-479-8132 or toll-free at 800-684-1293. We can also be reached through our online form.